Who can use this feature?
Available on all plans
Custom fields are an easy way to apply important metadata to your assets, as structured by managers according to your organization’s needs. They can be applied one-by-one in the Asset Detail view, or in bulk in the Action menu.
Apply custom metadata to an individual asset
- Double click on an asset in the Workspace to open the Asset Detail view.
- Click on Describe to open the Describe panel.
- Custom metadata fields will be displayed in this panel, at the end of the list.
- Click on the Set Meta Mode toggle to switch from Browse Mode to Edit Mode. This can also be accomplished with the E key on your keyboard.
- You can now apply custom metadata to the displayed asset.
- For controlled vocabulary single-value fields, click on Choose One… to display a dropdown of available entries. For controlled vocabulary multi-value fields, click on Choose Multiple… and select all entries that apply. Selecting an entry in either type of controlled vocabulary field will automatically update the asset’s metadata.
- For free text fields, click the blue pencil next to their name and begin typing your entry. Hit the Return key on your keyboard to save the entry and update the asset’s metadata.
Apply custom metadata to multiple assets
- In the Workspace, select all assets to which you would like to apply custom metadata.
- Hover over the gray sprocket in the top right corner to open the Action Menu.
- Click Edit Metadata… to open the Bulk Edit dialog. This can also be accomplished by hitting Command-E on your keyboard.
- Scroll to the bottom of the dialog to view the Custom Meta section.
- You can now apply custom metadata to all selected assets. For controlled vocabulary single-value fields, click on Choose One… to display a dropdown of available entries. For controlled vocabulary multi-value fields, click on Choose Multiple… and select all entries that apply. For free text fields, click the blue pencil next to their name and begin typing your entry.
- Click the Submit button in the bottom right corner to save your entries and update the metadata of all selected assets.
Pro Tip: You can remove custom metadata entries from bulk-selected assets in the Bulk Edit dialog. Select which entries you want to remove, and click the Remove radio button. Click the Submit button to update the selected asset’s metadata accordingly.